Sunday, October 9, 2011

Kueh oh Kueh


Since we moved to Doha, I must say my culinary skill has improved esp on cooking asian/malaysian dishes...for example, I made lompat tikam before the summer hols! I know now that its not rocket science to make this yummy desert,but nonetheless its an accomplishment to me :D.

What makes it more motivating is that when you cook and you have friends to eat it...good or bad! What we usually do, we gather over the weekend and cook up something for lunch and we all would bring and share a dish and enjoy a great lunch. It's a good way to spend a weekend when there is limited activities to do here esp during the hot summer season.

So last weekend we got invited to a friend's house for lunch and I had some sweet potatoes in the fridge that will go bad if I didn't use them up soon. I usually fried them like goreng pisang but Ms.N suggested that I make kueh keria instead. Hmmm....tricky one. Never made this before, so I googled a recipe and tried.

(Gorgeous Sweet potatoes)

It was suprisingly easy..

Kueh Keria

500g sweet potatoes ( diced , boiled til soft and mashed )
100g plain flour
30g rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar ( i had very sweet sweet potatoes so didn't need much sugar )
a pinch of salt
oil ( for frying )

For the sugar coating

1/2 icing sugar ,a pinch oh cinnamon and nutmeg. Seive them all together.
(I change the frosting on this one just to see how it would taste like and they turn out good but a traditional kueh keria is coated with sugar glazed.)

Ok here goes,

Add everything ( flour, rice flour, baking powder,salt and sugar ) to the mashed up sweet potatoes. Knead well till everything is even and you are able to mould to balls. It will be a bit sticky but don't worry even i panic for a moment there, so all you need to do is to put some flour on your hands while making them balls, then flatten them a little and a make a hole in the middle. I cheated a little and used a donut cutter (must be powdered with flour too ) mama gave me and make life easy :D. Next fry them til they are golden brown, on low heat preferbly coz you want the inside to cook thru. Once it is all done, powder all of them with your sugar coating front and back.
( ready for frying )

( Powdered with sugar mix )

There you go...my first timer kueh keria :D



4 comments:

Sista said...

aren't you suppose to 'sira' it with sugar instead of tabur gula on it? tak aci..!!

do u know how to sira? melt sugar and water in a pan. stir it, until almost become crystal like, put all the keria in and golek-golek.

barulah 100% keria!

khemy said...

Bravo Reena. Last weekend I made pulut kuning for a first time too and they are so jadi ok, because hunsband wanted to eat pulut with the daging korban rendang, which I didn't cook, but MIL. Hahaha.

I should try this kuih keria cause the boys love it so much. And karipap too.

Note: guess how do i cook on weekend, a little bit of love and hate (read: sampai2 gaduh ngan husband sebab dia tolong tengok anak. Aahahahahahaha. I think I'm going crazy if i ever cook complicated dish ever again. ahahaha)

Bike Trailer Reviews said...

It is a nice food. For more food details clickGoogle

Bike Trailer Reviews said...

Google will help you all to get food details. Click on Google